Google Analytics is a great way for our advertising and content partners to track and measure traffic to their YouTube channels. Google Analytics provides a comprehensive view of how visitors interact with channels, answering questions such as:
- How do visitors find my brand channel?
- How loyal are my viewers: how often do they come back to my channel?
- How much time do people spend on my channel?
- Where are my users located and what languages do they speak?
At this time, Google Analytics is only available on brand channels. YouTube Analytics, our video analytics tool, provides detailed metrics on video views and community engagement for all users.
Setting up Google Analytics on your Brand Channel
- Sign up for a Google Analytics account at http://www.google.com/analytics.
- If you have an existing Google Analytics login, you may create a new account by selecting “Create New Account” in the drop-down on the top right of the page. While it is possible to create a new profile within an existing account by selecting “Add New Profile”, we recommend creating a new account so that the data from your YouTube channel does not impact the data summaries from your other websites.
- Locate your Google Analytics Profile ID, which takes the form of "UA-123123-1". This can be found while in the Overview of the account, listed with the website profiles.
- Log in to your YouTube account and go to your Channel Settings page. Click the Advance option under "Channel Settings" and enter your Google Analytics profile ID in the appropriate field. Then save your changes. Data about your brand channel will begin populating your Analytics reports as soon as you save your profile ID.
- Once you save your changes, you should allow up to 24 hours for data to appear in your account. If you wait 24 hours and still don't see any data, please check the Troubleshooter for common tracking setup mistakes.
- (Optional) So that your YouTube rep may assist you if you have any questions related to your account, we request that you grant access to firstname.lastname@example.org. For instructions on adding users, please refer to the Analytics Help section on user access.
Accessing your Google Analytics Reports
- Log in to http://www.google.com/analytics and select the account you created for your YouTube Brand Channel.
- If you have multiple profiles in this account, select “View Report” next to the appropriate profile.
- From here, you can access all of the data collected on your channel through the navigation on the left and right side.
- For more information about the types of reports available in Google Analytics, please refer to the Google Analytics Help Center on reporting basics.