Because privacy is important to Google, we need to know you own a site before we'll show you certain information about it or enable you to use our tools. Verification doesn't affect your site's performance in Google's search results.
Why verify your site?
Once you've verified your ownership of your site, you'll be able to:
- See Google data for your site in Webmaster Tools, so you can diagnose potential problems and improve the quality of your site.
- Add and manage other site owners
- Tell Google when your site URL changes
- Remove sitelinks from Google search results
- Tell Google how you prefer your site to be indexed
- Specify the geographic region targeted by your site
- Request a change in Google's crawl rate.
How to verify your site
To verify that you own a site, you have a number of options. You can:
- Add a meta tag to your home page (proving that you have access to the source files). To use this method, you must be able to edit the HTML code of your site's pages.
- Upload an HTML file with the name you specify to your server. To use this method, you must be able to upload new files to your server.
- Verify via your domain name provider. To use this method, you must be able to sign in to your domain name provider (for example, GoDaddy.com or networksolutions.com) or hosting provider and add a new DNS record.
- Add the Google Analytics code you use to track your site. To use this option, you must be an administrator on the Google Analytics account, and the tracking code must use the new asynchronous snippet.
Webmaster Tools will check to see that the specified tag, file, record, or code is present. If it is, we consider you a site owner and will show you site details.
If you access Webmaster Tools via a web hoster, your site is already verified, and all your information is already available to you.
If you created a new site using Google Sites, that site will now appear verified in Webmaster Tools. (Your site must be created using the same Google Account you use for Webmaster Tools.) If your site doesn't appear on the Webmaster Tools home page, click Add a site. Your site will be added and automatically verified. However, older sites are not automatically verified, and should be verified using the meta tag method.