(If you're technically savvy and able to recover your site without assistance, you can skip this step and go straight to Step 3: Quarantine your site.)
- The ability to contact your hoster
- Tell your hoster that your site has been compromised.
Your hoster can make sure their other customers weren't affected, and they can potentially help recover your site. In StopBadware’s 2012 survey, 60% of people who asked their hoster for help, received it.
- Locate reputable online resources and helpful communities.
Your goal is to find out where to turn if you have problems with the recovery process. In addition to the Help for hacked sites series and your hoster's help system, try searching and reading responses in discussion forums or even posting a question yourself. These communities are good starting points:
- StopBadware.org offers articles and tools, and manages the StopBadware community forum (on average, more than 75% of forum posts receive a response).
- Google Webmaster Central's discussion forum has a special subforum for Malware and hacked sites. Most responses come from highly engaged members and the community's Top Contributors.
- Consider enlisting assistance from a trusted security expert.
If you feel ill-equipped to recover your site on your own, try the following options:
- Ask friends and family for recommendations.
- Seek referrals from the standout members of reputable online communities.
- Transfer your site to new hoster who specializes in site recovery and can recover your site as part of the transfer.
Step 2: Build a support team is now completed. The next step in the process is Step 3: Quarantine your site.
|Step||Technical expertise required|
|1. Watch the overview||Beginner|
|2. Contact your hoster and build a support team||Beginner|
|3. Quarantine your site||Intermediate|
|4. Touch base with Webmaster Tools||Intermediate|
5. Assess the damage (hacked with spam) or
Assess the damage (hacked with malware)
|6. Identify the vulnerability||Advanced|
|7. Clean and maintain your site||Advanced|
|8. Request a review||Intermediate|