Detailing a TINTo detail a terrain:
- Create a TIN. The image (slide 1) shows a flat TIN or sandbox created with the Sandbox From Scratch tool.
- Select the Add Detail tool. The cursor changes to an arrow.
- Click on a point, edge, or face within the TIN. SketchUp creates a new vertex where you clicked with new triangles spanning out from the new vertex. The image (slide 2) shows two additional triangles created when the midpoint of a line was selected.
- Move your mouse up or down to adjust the height of the vertex and surrounding triangles. The image (slide 3) shows the resulting TIN when the new vertex was lifted.
- Continue clicking on points, edges, or faces (either on the TIN you created in step 3, or on other portions of the TIN) to create additional triangles for manipulation.
- Smooth and soften the TIN to get your final surface.
Note: You can also type in an offset distance to adjust the height of the vertex after clicking on a point, edge, or face within the terrain. For example,
10'will raise the new vertex 10' above the starting terrain.
Note: You can sculpt in a direction other than vertical by holding down the Shift key while moving the mouse. However, this operation can result in non-functional terrain or terrain that can no longer be manipulated in a known way.