Materials can be painted on entire Group entities or Component entities or to the individual entities within the group or component. To assign materials to an entire group or component:
- Select the Paint Bucket tool. The cursor will change to a paint bucket and the Material Browser is activated. The Materials Browser contains libraries of materials you can paint on faces in your model.
- Select a materials library using the drop down list box. SketchUp contains several default materials libraries, including landscape, roofing, and transparent materials.
- Select a material from the library of materials.
- Click on the group or component you want to paint. The faces will receive the material.
- If you select multiple groups or components using the Select tool, clicking on the selection with the Paint tool will paint all of them with a single click.
Note: If a face within a group or component is already painted with a material (other than the default material), before applying a material to the entire group or component, the face will not adopt the new material. For example, the windshields, bumpers, and tires in the following image were already painted before a material was applied to these components. Therefore, the windshields, bumpers, and tires maintained their original material.
Note: Exploding a group or component assigns the object materials to any elements assigned the default material, thus making the material override permanent.