SketchUp 8 and .rbz files
The latest version of SketchUp 8 allows you to install zipped Ruby files (.rbz) from within the product. If your plugin has a standard (.zip) extension, then you can just change the extension name from .zip to .rbz.
To install a SketchUp 8 Ruby plugin script with the .rbz format:
- We recommend logging into your computer as an admin before installing any Ruby scripts. This will make the installation go more smoothly and ensure that files get installed in the proper places.
- Select Window > Preferences (Microsoft Windows) or SketchUp > Preferences (Mac OS X). The Preferences dialog box is displayed.
- Click on Extensions. The Extensions panel is displayed.
- Click on the Install Extension button. The Open dialog box is displayed.
- Locate the Ruby zip file to install (.rbz).
- Click on the Open button. The Ruby plugin appears in the list of extensions.
Older versions of SketchUp and .rb files
If you're using an older version of SketchUp or you have a file with the .rb extension, you can install the plugin by placing the Ruby script file into the appropriate folder, and then restarting SketchUp.
Windows - the default location is:
SketchUp and SketchUp Pro: C:\Program Files\Google\Google SketchUp #\Plugins.
Mac OS X - the default location is:
[YOUR USER NAME]/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp #/SketchUp/plugins
Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/Google SketchUp #/SketchUp/plugins). However, plugins in this location may be removed in an uninstall.
Once you have restarted SketchUp, you should see that the script's commands have been added to the appropriate menus. You can also run the script using the Ruby Console (open the "Windows" menu, and then click Ruby Console).