You can set up inbound archiving in just a few minutes. For instructions, see the Message Archiving Quick Start.
To set up inbound and outbound archiving, or journal archiving, follow the set-up steps below.
Choose an Email Archiving Option
- Determine whether you want to use journal archiving or inbound/outbound archiving.
Enable and Configure Outbound Services (Optional)
- If you choose the inbound/outbound archiving option, configure your Outbound service if you have not already done so.
Set Up Your Organization Hierarchy (Optional)
- Choose which users’ messages you want to archive, and optionally set up or rearrange your organization hierarchy.
Turn On Archiving
- Turn on archiving for your Message Security service at the user organization level, and select archiving options.
Note: Be sure that the retention settings you specify in the Administration Console match the retention period you have purchased for your organization. For example, if you have purchased 10 years of retention, be sure to enter 120 months for your Archive Retention period on the Message Archiving Settings page.
Set Up Message Archiving for Journaling
- If you chose the journal archiving option, set up Message Archiving on your Message Security service to accept incoming journaled messages from your email server. To complete this step, you need the IP address or address range for your email servers. You also need to set up journaling on your email servers.
Grant Archiving Privileges to Your Users
- Once you have set up the type of archiving you want to provide for your organization, you then need to grant archiving privileges to your users so they can access and manage the archive, and run the necessary reports.
Search the Archive, Manage Message Retention, Run Reports
- After you grant archiving privileges to your users, they can (depending on their privileges) search the archive, set up investigations, manage message retention, and run reports.
If you chose the journal archiving option for email messages, you must also configure journaling on your email server.
For an overview of the steps for configuring journaling, watch this 12-minute tutorial:
For details about configuring journaling on Microsoft Exchange Server, refer to:
- Microsoft Exchange Journaling Configuration Guide For Exchange Server 2000 and 2003
- Microsoft Exchange Journaling Configuration Guide For Exchange Server 20007
For details about configuring journaling on Lotus Domino Server, refer to: