You can prevent your computer from being infected and disseminating spyware, adware, and other unwanted junk by following safe practices:
- Don't click on any link you suspect to be malicious, even if sent by someone you really trust.
- Never select the "remember me" option when you're using a public or shared computer.
- Scan your computer regularly for viruses, spyware and adware.
- Never run any script while logged into Orkut, no matter what it claims to do. Usually you will be asked to copy and paste a code in your web browser, remember to never do so!
- Always check your browser's address bar to make sure you enter your sign-in information only on www.orkut.com and other Google properties.
- Change your password regularly and keep it secret.
Additionally, you'll never receive you spam emails from Orkut asking you to download anything or to send us personal information, such as your password or bank account information. Orkut is a free service, and it will remain safe with your help.
Free software to protect your computer
If you suspect your computer's security has been compromised by a virus, spyware or adware, you can download free and effective applications to resolve the situation. We highly recommend Spyware Doctor with anti-virus software (available for free as part of the Google Pack) or Avast antivirus. In addition, we recommend the following anti-spyware programs:
- LavaSoft's Ad-aware (download)
- AVG (download)
- Spybot Search and Destroy (download)
- Windows Defender (download)
These programs can remove the most common malicious applications, though our users report that you may need to try more than one and having the latest version is important. Learn more about how to remove malware from your computer.