When scanning thousands of websites every minute, sometimes the Google News crawler can miss a few. If you notice that Google News has failed to include some of your latest articles, don't worry there's probably an easy solution to remedy this issue.
It's likely that a specific technical issues is preventing us from including your content. We encourage you to walk through the steps below to determine what may be causing our system to miss your content.
- Before doing anything, you should check to see what articles from your site Google News is currently crawling. The best way to do this is to perform a search on the Google News homepage using our
site:operator from the. For example, to search for articles from The Example Times you could enter
[site:example.com]into the search box.
- If the articles that do appear are displayed with a different publication name or link to an outdated site domain, it's very possible that we're failing to crawl your content because we have outdated information in our system. To fix this issue, you'll need to report an update to our team.
- If your site's information appears to be correct in search results, try to identify a few articles that Google News is missing. Look at those articles and check to see if they conform to our technical requirements. Some common issues that may be preventing us from crawling your articles include:
- Article URLs are not unique or do not contain enough digits.
- Links to articles are inaccessible to our crawler by either being blocked by a robots.txt file or meta tags.
- Content is hosted on a domain different from your site's main domain and is not currently listed in our system.
- We're unable to determine the date or title of your article.
- Article pages contain dynamic content that our crawler can't read.
- Articles appear not to contain enough text to be included.
- For all the previously mentioned issues, we strongly encourage you submit a Google News Sitemap. Sitemaps can help improve how quickly our crawler finds your content and can resolve issues involving inaccurate headlines and publication dates. Please keep in mind that Google News Sitemaps are distinct from Web Search Sitemaps.
- If after you submit your sitemap you notice Google News is still missing several of your articles, you can use the Health section of your Webmaster Tools account to troubleshoot. Click Crawl Errors then News-specific crawl errors to see which articles from your site Google News may be having trouble indexing. Read the full description of our News-specific crawl errors for more detail on how to troubleshoot.
- In addition, to using the Crawl Error tool, we recommend that you also try Fetch as Googlebot in your Webmaster Tools account. This tools allows you to see how Google's crawlers view your site and may reveal why our system is having trouble indexing your content. For more details on how to use this tool, please visit the Webmaster Help Center .
You may also find it useful to visit the Google News Help Forum , where publishers share helpful tips and expertise.
If you figure out why Google News is not crawling some of your articles or if you have another question, please contact us with the URLs of the specific articles that haven't been crawled. Keep in mind, that we can't guarantee the inclusion of all your content, but will do what we can to crawl as many of your articles as possible.