Once you have created a map, you can invite individuals or anyone to collaborate on editing your map. To do this:
- Create or edit a map.
- Select the desired map name under My Places.
- Click Collaborate (in blue) in the left panel. A dialogue box appears.
- Enter or choose the following:
- Invite persons as collaborators - Enter the email address(s) of anyone you want to collaborate on your map.
- Message - Type the message you want to appear in the invitation to your collaborators
- Collaborators may invite others - Check this to allow your collaborators to allow other collaborators
- Allow anyone to edit this map - Check this to allow any Google Maps users to edit your map
- Collaborators - You can remove any or all collaborators
- Click Send Invitations. Google Maps sends an invitation to any collaborators you specified.
Once you have created a map, you can share it with others. To do this:
- Open the map you want to share.
- Click the link button in the top right corner of the left panel. This automatically highlights the map's URL.
- Share this URL by copying the URL (either by right-clicking or using CTRL+C) and pasting it onto your website/blog.
- You can also click the Send button in the top right corner of the box and entering in the desired email address(s).
Related topics:About public and unlisted maps
You can choose to make your maps public or unlisted.
Public maps are maps that you want to publish and share with everyone. Public maps will be included in the search results on Google Web Search. To do this, enter "site:maps.google.com" into the search bar, followed by the title of the map or the desired search term (e.g. site:maps.google.com gas stations).
Unlisted maps are maps that you only want to share with a few select people. Unlisted maps URLs on Google Maps are still publicly accessible, but will not be included in Google Web Search results, so they are similar to an unlisted phone number -- anyone who knows the specific URL of the map can view it or share it with others.
If you change a public map to unlisted, it may take some time to stop appearing in Google Web Search results. If your map is still appearing, it's probably because Google Web Search has not yet re-indexed it since you changed the setting.
To change your map's public or unlisted setting:
- Click My Places > Maps. A list of your maps appears. Click the appropriate map to view it.
- Click the red Edit button.
- Choose Public or Unlisted.
- Click Save.
You can change this setting at any time. However, please remember that all maps have a publicly accessible URL, and anyone who knows the URL of an unlisted map can share it with others - including by linking to it or embedding it on another webpage. These other webpages may show in Google Web Search results. In general, we recommend that you don't create any maps that you prefer not to share with anyone.
If you have Google Earth installed on your computer, you can view your maps in Google Earth. To do this:
- Create or open a custom map.
- Click the KML or in the left panel. Google Maps uploads a KML file to your computer that you can open in Google Earth.