You can better understand where you go with Google Location History. If you explicitly enable this feature by opting-in, you can get location data, including sensor readings, from on your phone. Until you opt in to Location History, no location history beyond your most recently updated location is stored for your account. Your location history can only be viewed when you're signed in to your Google Account. Google does not share an individual person's location with third parties without explicit permission.
You will automatically receive a monthly email reminding you that you've enabled this feature. Disable the reminders or change their frequency at https://maps.google.com/locationhistory/settings.
Change privacy settings
Use the Location settings menu at any time to change settings:
- Detect your location. Your location is updated automatically.
- Set your location. Manually select a location on the map.
- Hide your location. No history will be recorded.
- Report from this device. Report your location in the background from this device. Use this checkbox if you have multiple devices to control which one will be used to update your location.
- Enable location history. If unchecked no location history will be recorded.
About "My Location" and Location History
My Location and Location History are two separate features for Google Maps for Android and can be enabled or disabled independently.