Google Location History is an opt-in feature that allows you to store your past Google location history and see it on a Google Map or in Google Earth. Your Location History is visible only to you.
Enable Location History
If you've never enabled Location History before:
- Open Google Maps and go to Maps Menu (top left) > Location history.
- You'll be prompted to enable your location history.
If you've enabled location history previously:
- Open Google Maps and go to Menu > Settings.
- Choose Location settings.
- Check the "Enable location history" box to enable location history.
- Ensure that "Report from this device" is checked on your primary device.
From your desktop
To enable Location History from a computer using the location history website.
- Visit http://google.com/locationhistory on your computer.
- Sign in to the Google Account you use with Google Latitude.
- Click on the History tab and click Settings.
- Click Enable then Save to enable Location History.
Note: At least a few days of your location history must be collected for dashboard information to be available.
View Location History
Once you enable Location History, you can view various trends in your location history with the Dashboard tab:
- See where you were and when on a given date.
- View your travel time between places.
- View your daily history on a map.
- Review places you’ve checked in to.
- Choose a different place by tapping the place name and selecting a different location.
To access your mobile location history:
- Tap on the Maps menu in the top left of your screen to open the drop down menu and then select Location history.
- Choose a date from the menu or scroll left to see previous dates.
Information like home vs. work time are estimated from your location history pattern at times when most people are usually at home or work. Information like biking or driving is estimated from locations as well as sensor data on the phone. Other information like trips or visited places are estimated from locations in your history where you’re stationary and are far from your usual locations.