With Google Cloud Connect, you can download and open documents stored in Google Docs from within Microsoft Office.
To download and open a document stored in Google Docs, follow these steps:
- Open a Microsoft Office application like Microsoft Word. If you don't have the Google Cloud Connect plugin installed, you'll need to follow these instructions.
- From the Google Cloud Connect menu, select Open from Google Docs…
- Next, you'll see a window listing all of the documents that can be opened with the application you're using. For example, if you're using Microsoft Word, you'll see a list of all the Microsoft Word files available in your Google Docs account.
- Select the file you'd like to download from Google Docs.
- If this is the first time you’ve used this feature, you'll be asked to choose a folder on your computer where you'd like your file to be saved. The folder you pick will become the default folder for all of the files you open, download, and save in the future. (You can change this folder later from the Google Cloud Connect Settings menu.)
- Click OK. The file will be downloaded to that location and open automatically.
When you want to open the file again, you can either open it from the folder you downloaded the file to, or you can open it from the Google Cloud Connect menu. If you open it from the Google Cloud Connect menu, it will be downloaded again, creating another copy of the same file.