The sync state indicator lets you know when you need to sync the document. A document can be in these different states: synchronized, sync required (up arrow), sync required (down arrow), or sync state unknown.
- Synchronized: The copy on your desktop matches what you and others see in Google Docs.
- Sync required: You need to sync your document with Google Docs.
- Up arrow: There are changes that need to be synced to Google Docs.
- Down arrow: There are changes on Google Docs that need to be synced to your Office document.
- Sync state unknown: Cloud Connect can't determine your sync state (like when you're on an airplane).
If the doc is in Read-only mode, this means that the owner of the doc hasn't given you permission to edit the doc. In this case, you'll be able to only sync changes down from Google Docs.