The Google Drive app for iPhone and iPad lets you view items you've stored in Google Drive with your device even when it isn't connected to the Internet or a mobile network. Offline editing isn’t currently supported.
Make an item available offline
Before you can view files offline, you'll first need to make them available offline. To make an item available offline:
- Make sure that you're connected to the Internet or a mobile network. (You can also request to make an item available offline when your device is disconnected from the Internet. It'll update the next time your device does connect.)
- Tap the arrow next to an item’s name to open the details pane.
- Tap or slide the switch to "on" next to Available Offline. A loading spinner will appear next to the switch until the file loads into the Offline section of your Drive app.
If you no longer need offline access for the item, follow the same steps but set Available Offline to "off."
Access and manage offline items
Access your offline items from the Offline section on the landing page of the Google Drive app for the iPhone or in the left-hand navigation panel for the iPad. Items available for offline viewing will appear here as either one of the following:
- Up to date
Offline items have synced, reflecting what's online. If you’re offline, the latest edits will be those from the last time your device connected to the Internet.
- Updates available
Changes made to online items haven't yet synced with offline items.
When your device is disconnected, you can still star, rename, and take other actions on your offline Google Docs and files. This is available even for files that you haven’t made available offline. Just open the details panel by tapping the gray arrow next to each item the way you would if you were connected to the Internet. Sharing isn't available while offline.
Updating offline items
The Drive app for iPhone and iPad doesn't automatically sync your offline files with the online versions. To sync all changes made online to the offline version of each file:
- Make sure that you're connected to the Internet or a mobile network.
- Go to the Offline section when you're online.
- Find items listed under Updates available.
- Tap the blue arrow next to the items that you want to sync.
You can also tap “Update all” to quickly sync all items that have updates available. The timestamp next to each item’s name shows when it was last synced with its online state. Some items may also show a "Never downloaded" indicator if they aren't ready yet for offline viewing. This may happen, for example, when you have an intermittent Internet connection.