Rights holders are created by selecting the appropriate company type when creating a company from the Companies screen under the Admin tab. You can find instructions on how to add a company in Add a company profile. If you're unfamiliar with financial terms, review Get started with financial terms.
Rights holder definitionRights holders are individuals or organizations that can expect a share of advertising revenue as a result of a legally recognized financial entitlement to a segment of video content.
An example rights holder might be a performer who appears in a video clip. This performer must receive a portion of revenue every time the video clip plays. The content partner, in this example, could be the studio who produced the video, and it also receives a portion or revenue per the financial term you've created for it.
There are a couple of ways to set up rights holders with video content. From the Video tab, you can choose a video and pick multiple rights holders to assign to that video. While you assigning these rights holders to the video, you can also specify what percentage of revenue share each rights holder gets for that video.
Alternatively, you can assign multiple videos to a single rights holder from the Companies details screen. This screen also allows you to update the revenue share values on multiple videos for the rights holder.
You can add a rights holders to videos and indicate a revenue share percentage for each rights holder under the Video tab while viewing the details a single video.
- Under the Video tab, select a video to view its details.
- Next to Rights holders, click edit.
- To add a rights holder, start typing in the first field and select the desired rights holders.
- In the revenue share field, enter a percentage for each rights holder.
The total percentage of revenue share for all rights holders of a given video cannot exceed 100 percent.
- Click Save.
To remove a rights holder, click edit and then the "x" next to the rights holder's percentage. Click Save when done.
Assign multiple videos to a rights holder and update revenue share
From the Companies details page under the Admin tab, you can assign multiple videos to a single rights holder. You can also unassign multiple videos there were assigned to a rights holder.
- Find a rights holder from the Companies list under the Admin tab and view its details.
- Next to Video content, select Click to filter content.
If there are already videos assigned to the rights holder, click the "edit" link near Video content to show Click to filter content.
- From the picker, you can:
- Browse by content categories
- Browse by individual videos
- Filter either by content category name of video name
- Select the checkbox next to each video or content category on which you would like to perform an action.
Selecting the checkbox next to a content category selects all videos under that category. If you do so, make sure that you want to apply the action you intend to perform on all the videos under the category.
- Click Filter.
The videos you selected appear under the Video content panel with the checkbox next to each video preselected for you. From this panel, you can perform the following actions:
- Choose Select to assign to add the preselected videos to this rights holder.
- Enter a value in the revenue share field, which will be applied to every preselected video.
- Choose Select to unassign to remove the preselected videos from this rights holder.
If you want to add more video to the Video content panel, you can select Click to filter content again and browse or search for additional videos to add at this point. Conversely, if you've added a video to the Video content panel on which you do not want to perform the intended action, you can simply deselect the checkbox next to the video on the panel, and the action will not be performed on that video.
Note that the action you select will be applied to all videos selected. For example, if you've selected a video that's already assigned to the rights holder, and you choose to assign the selected videos, assigned videos will continue to be assigned to the rights holder.
- Click Save.
When viewing the details of a rights holder, you can also update the revenue share percentage of multiple videos already assigned to the rights holder.
To do so, just click the "edit" link near Video content, select the videos for which you want to update the revenue share, and enter a value in the revenue share field.
Rights holders and revenue share
Rights holders' revenue share is entered as a simple percentage of total revenue generated for a given video. The revenue share to which rights holders are entitled is handled differently depending on whether there is a content partner or not.
- If a content partner has been designated the owner of a video, rights holders' share is deducted from the content partner's revenue share. DFP first applies the financial term for the content partner—and the financial term for the affiliate/distribution partner if applicable—then, only after these calculations, subtracts rights holder percentage of revenue share from the content partner's share.
- If no content partner is associated with the video content, the rights holders' share is deducted from your revenue share, as the network host, after financial terms are applied and the deduction of revenue share for your affiliate/distribution partners has occurred.
There may be times when you yourself have produced video content or are otherwise the owner of video content that is distributed throughout your network. While there is no 'content partner' that needs to be designated as the owner of the video, you may still have rights holders associated with the video. A rights holder's percentage or revenue share, in this case, is deducted from your share or revenue.