The Files app gives you quick access to all the files you've stored on your Chrome device, as well as those you've stored on the web through Google Drive. You can also use it to open files saved on an external storage device connected to your Chrome device.
Open the Files app
You can open the app by clicking the apps list button in the launcher, then clicking the Files icon, or use the keyboard shortcut Alt+Shift+M.
Browsing different sections of the Files app
Use the left panel to browse your various file collections. You can also click on the small triangles to expand or collapse sections of your collections.
- Downloads: See all the files you've saved on your Chrome device.
- Google Drive: See all the files you've saved to the web. Google Drive allows you to access your files online and offline, from any device. Learn more about accessing your files offline
- External storage device: If you're connected to an external storage device, the device name will show up on the left. Click it to see the files on the external storage device.
- Compressed files: If you've opened a compressed file, see all the files in the folder.
Removing Google Drive from the Files app
If you don't use Google Drive to store your files on the web, you can hide its section in the Files app.
- Click the status area in the lower-right corner, where your account picture appears.
- Select Settings.
- Click the Show advanced settings link.
- Find the "Downloads" section and select the "Disable Google Drive on this device" checkbox.
Tips for managing your files
Keep your files organized:
- Create new folders. Right-click an item (or click the touchpad with two fingers on a Chromebook) and select New folder. In the left panel, you can expand or collapse these folders to easily see what's inside each of them.
- Move a file between folders. Simply drag the file to a new folder. For instance, you can drag a file from your Downloads folder to Google Drive to instantly save it on the web.
Find the file you need:
- Search for files by using the search box in the upper-right corner. Your search results will show you files within your selected folder.
- Preview your file by using the thumbnail view. Use the icons in the top-right corner of the app to toggle between the list view and thumbnail view.