You may be able to use mobile data provided by Verizon Wireless to connect to the Internet on your Chromebook if you're in the U.S. In this article, we'll guide you through the initial activation process. Once you've activated your access to Verizon's network, you get 100 MB of data for free each month, for two years. If you need more data, you can choose to purchase a day pass or sign up for a monthly plan.
Check whether your Chromebook can connect to mobile networks
Click the status area in the lower-right corner of your screen and select the network listed in the menu. If you then see at the top of the menu, that means your Chromebook is capable of using mobile networks for Internet access.
Steps to activate your access
Using a Chrome device at work or school? Ask your network administrator if you're on a postpaid plan with Verizon. If you are, follow postpaid plan activation instructions, instead of the steps below.
- Click the status area in the lower-right corner of your screen.
- Select your network status from the menu that appears.
- Mobile data usage needs to be enabled before your Chromebook can connect to mobile networks. In the menu that appears, click . If you see , that means your Chromebook is ready to connect to mobile networks.
- Select Activate Verizon Wireless from the network menu. If you see "Verizon Wireless," that means your access is already activated. Don't see either of these options? Restart your Chromebook.
- Choose a data plan from the screen:
- Get free data: Get 100 MB per month for free.
- Choose a day pass or monthly plan: This is the option for you if you only need extra data occasionally. The 100 MB are automatically added on top of your selected plan.
- Sign up for a contract: If you constantly use mobile data on your Chromebook, you can also choose to sign up for a contract, so you don't need to worry about running out of data. Click the Show postpaid plans link to view the contract options.
- Click Next.
- Enter your account details and click Next.
- Review the terms and conditions and click I agree.
- Review your order and click Submit order.
The activation process can take three to five minutes. To ensure a smooth activation, make sure you're connected to a network with a strong signal. Don't use your Chromebook while the activation is in progress.
An order confirmation page appears once your access has been successfully activated. You'll also receive an email confirming the activation.Add a 4G LTE device to your plan
Before you begin, you'll need your existing Verizon wireless account information, SIM card ID (ICCID), and Device ID (IMEI).
- To obtain the ICCID and IMEI, click the network status icon from the status area, the select your wireless connection.
- Click on Activate Verizon Wireless, and the Verizon connectivity portal will open.
- Once expanded, write down the ICCID and IMEI numbers. You'll need them later.
- Close the portal. You may see a warning that closing will cancel the setup process--you can ignore this warning and close it.
- Call Verizon Wireless at 1-800-250-4646, and inform the rep that you'd like to add your Pixel to an LTE Share Everything plan--make sure you have your ICCID and IMEI numbers handy.