Search and browse faster on the web by using the Chrome Instant feature to see dynamic results whenever you search from the address bar at the top of the browser window. If you don't see the results you want, just keep refining your search terms and the results dynamically update.
Enable or disable Instant
These instructions apply to Google Chrome on Windows, Mac, Linux, and Chrome OS.
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- In the “Search” section, use the “Enable Instant for faster searching” checkbox to enable or disable the Instant feature.
How to use Instant
- Start typing in the address bar. Enter search terms in the address bar.
- See search results in the window. As you type, items from your browsing and search history that match what you’re typing show up in a menu below the address bar. If you’re using a prediction service for the address bar, popular sites and searches that might be similar to what you’re typing also appear.
With Instant enabled, the browser automatically loads the first match from the menu in the window.
- If it’s a search term, results from your default search engine appear. Learn more about Instant's logging policies
If you have Instant disabled, the match often appears in gray text within the address bar. However, if you have Instant enabled or if the best match is from your search history, the match will be automatically filled into the address bar and highlighted in blue. If you wish instead to see results for the text you’ve typed without the match, you can press Backspace to eliminate the highlighted completion, or select the correct entry from the list of completions.
Don’t see any dynamic results?
There are several reasons why you might not see dynamic results, even if Instant is enabled:
- Connection speed: If you’re on a particularly slow Internet connection or network, you won't see dynamic results since we want to make sure that your browsing and search experience is as fast as possible.
- Certain searches: Certain types of searches that may be inappropriate will not trigger results to appear automatically.
- Incognito windows: Instant is not available in this mode.
Search engine providers: See the SearchBox API to learn how you can integrate Chrome Instant search functionality with your search engine (English only).