You can use a SIM card to connect to the Internet, if your Chromebook is capable of accessing mobile networks. To activate the SIM card, follow the instructions provided with your Chromebook. Having trouble activating or using the SIM card? Contact your mobile carrier for further support.
Check whether your Chromebook can connect to mobile networks
Click the status area in the lower-right corner of your screen and select your network. If you see , that means your Chromebook can connect to mobile networks.
Activate your SIM card
If you purchased a Chromebook model outside the U.S. that can connect to mobile networks, a SIM card was included in the box. Follow the instructions provided in the box to activate the card.
Once you've activated your SIM card, turn off your Chromebook and insert the card into the Chromebook. Consult the help information provided by your Chromebook manufacturer if you're not sure where the SIM card slot is located.
Some activated cards ask for a personal identification number (PIN) on first use. Contact your mobile carrier if you don't know the PIN or if you see a message asking for a PIN Unlocking Code. The SIM card will be permanently disabled if you're unable to enter the correct unlocking code after two tries.
Configuring the access point name for other SIM cards
Your Chromebook should also work with SIM cards from other mobile carriers. For some carriers, you may need to configure the access point name before you can connect to their networks.
- Turn off your Chromebook and insert your SIM card into your Chromebook.
- Turn on your Chromebook and sign in.
- Click the status area in the lower-right of the screen, where your account picture appears.
- Select Settings.
- In the "Internet connection" section, move the mouse over your mobile network's name in the "Mobile data" menu. Click the pencil mark next to its name.
- In the dialog that appears, edit the access point name on the "Plan" tab. Contact your mobile carrier if you're not sure what the name should be.
Tip: Using a Chromebook purchased in the U.S.? You'll need to configure the carrier information on your Chromebook before you can use a SIM card. See information on using mobile networks abroad.