This article is for teachers and administrators using Chrome and Chrome devices for Education
Many teachers deploying Chrome and Chrome Devices for Education want to pre-install or recommend Chrome web apps on their students' devices. However, given the thousands of Chrome web apps available, it's not always apparent which ones are the best for your class. Google has created Chrome App Packs, which are groups of popular applications from the Chrome Web Store that are tailored to meet students' needs.
These curated apps save teachers time, offer discounts for bulk app purchases, and help teachers find the best apps by category and grade level. Many of these apps integrate with Google Drive to provide an easy way to turn in homework, and many of these apps offer lesson plans for teachers.
App Packs for 3 Grade Levels
App Packs are groups of Chrome web apps bundled by grade level:
- Elementary School (K - 5)
- Middle School (grades 6 - 8)
- High School (grades 9 - 12)
App Packs are only available for Google Apps for Education customers. When you pre-install these apps on your students' managed Chrome devices, your students will see them when they sign in to their Chrome devices. Also, if your students are using Chrome on a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer, they will see these apps when they sign in to Chrome with their Google Apps account on that device.
How much do they cost?
Each App Pack has 3 types for Chrome web apps:
- Free: These apps are provided free of charge.
- Freemium: These apps are provided free of charge, but a premium is charged for advanced features.
- Paid: Many of these apps come with a demo version, but cost money to use the full version.
To learn the price of an app you'd like to install, sign in to your Chrome Settings page, go to the Applications tab, and click on bulk purchase. This takes you to the Apps for your classroom page, which has information on what type of app it is.
How to Install Apps and App Packs
- Free: Click Try to try a single app with your admin account. Follow these steps to pre-install a free app to your students' Chrome devices. Instead of pre-installing these apps, you can also recommend them in your Chrome Web Store private collection.
To add only free apps available in App Packs to your students’ Chrome devices, follow these steps:
- Sign in to the Admin panel.
- Select Settings from the menu at the top.
- Select Chrome from the list of services on the left and then click User Settings.
- Under Pre-installed Apps and Extensions, click Manage pre-installed apps.
- In the dialog box opens up, click on the App Pack you want (Elementary School, Middle School, or High School).
- Click Add all free apps.
This adds all free and freemium apps in the app pack that you've selected to your students' Chrome devices.
- Freemium: These apps are provided free of charge, but a premium is charged for advanced features. The steps to Try, pre-install, and/or recommend the apps are the same as free apps.
If you want your students to access the advanced functionality of the app, click on Upgrade in the Bulk Purchase site. Enjoy a discount when you purchase 20 or more user licenses. (See Purchase apps in Bulk). The app provider will activate the app for your students once the purchase is complete, and they will be able to use the premium features in the app when they're signed in to their Google Apps accounts.
- Paid: These apps cost money to use. When you click Try, your single admin account will likely be given access to a demo version of the app. In some cases, you can request trial access for multiple student accounts. Click Buy to purchase one or more licenses for the app. Enjoy a discount when you purchase 20 or more licenses. (See Purchase Apps in Bulk). After your purchase, return to the User Settings page in the Admin panel to install the app for your users. The app provider will give you specific instructions to activate licenses for your students so that they can use the app when signed in to their Google Apps accounts.
Purchasing Freemium or Paid apps in an App Pack as a Bulk Purchase (20 or more user licenses per app) can save you money. You can bulk purchase apps by clicking the note under Allowed Apps and Extensions: "You can now bulk purchase apps for your classroom". The bulk purchase link takes you to the Apps for your classroom site, where you can choose to purchase some or all of the apps in an App Pack.
You can pre-install apps on your students' managed Chrome devices so that they see the apps from their apps list when they're signed in to their Chrome devices.
Follow these steps to pre-install apps:
- Sign in to the Admin panel.
- Go to Settings > Chrome > User Settings.
- Click on Manage pre-installed apps.
- In the Manage pre-installed apps dialog box that appears, select the extensions or applications you want to pre-install.
Below are all of the Chrome web apps included in the App Packs. Note that some apps are included in more than one App Pack.
|3D Tin||Create beautiful 3D Models in fun and interactive environment|
|Audiotool||Powerful online music production studio. Apply sound effects and record your own voice and instruments.|
|BuzzMath||Gain math expertise through on demand examples and instant feedback|
|Desmos||Graph multiple functions in vivid color and watch them update as you type|
|Diigo||Collaborative research platform with social bookmarking, web annotation, tagging, and group-based collaboration|
|DogoNews||Source for current events, news and non-fictional articles for students and teachers|
Research management platform where students learn to avoid plagiarism, organize notes, and analyze work.
|Empower3000||Learning solutions that accelerate reading comprehension, vocabulary, writing and test performance|
|Geogebra||Geometry, algebra, calculus, and statistics with thousands of free interactive worksheets in more than 50 languages|
|Glogster||Collaborate to express creativity through creation of posters with videos, graphics, sounds|
|GoAnimate||Create animations with characters, camera, import music, sound effects, record dialogues and more|
|Haiku LMS||Learning platform with Gradebook, Discussion, Wiki, ePortfolio, in-browser Annotator, and Content Sharing|
|iPass||Math curriculum used as a prescriptive, adaptive intervention program with assessment system|
|Khan Academy||With over 3,100 videos from math to physics, finance, and history get to learn what you want, when you want|
|KidBiz3000||Learning solutions that accelerate reading comprehension, vocabulary, writing and test performance|
|LearnBoost||Track grades; create, share multimedia lesson plans, and progress with parents and students.|
|Loupe||Take thousands of photos and automatically create a collage in the shape you want in just seconds|
|Lucid Chart||Collaborate real time on flowcharts, venn diagrams, mind maps, and other diagrams.|
|MeeGenius Children's Books||
Read each book with audio playback, word highlighting and automatic playback!
|MindMeister||Mind mapping app that raises student achievement through brainstorming and real-time collaboration|
|nFinity Browser||Java, Silverlight and other plug ins are no longer a challenge. Explore any site you want!|
|OpenClass||Learning platform though which you can deliver all types of content|
Easy and fun coloring application for kids
Photo editor with layers, adjustment tools, and filters that lets you manipulate entire images or individual pixels
|Pixton Comic Maker||
Create comics with characters, speech bubbles, background, images, voice-over and more
Math and Reading practice with data through a personalized and self-paced learning experience.
Create, collaborate and share amazing presentations.
Make flashcards and store class notes. Study online for effective, productive learning.
Turn photos, videos, text and music into beautiful videos that tell meaningful stories.
Tune photos, create drawings, browse and remix images from others - it's a fun way to share inspiration.
Learning solutions that accelerate reading comprehension, vocabulary, writing and test performance
|Typing Club||Practice typing skills and track performance through an admin interface|
|Vernier LabQuest® 2||Using low-cost sensors and interfaces, students collect data in real-time for data analysis|
|WeVideo||Professional level video editor for students and teachers to collaborate, create and share video stories|
|Vocabulary SpellingCity||Use word lists to play activities like Flash Cards, Match It Sentences, Hang Mouse, Premium Crosswords.|
|Wixie||Use paint, text authoring, clip art, voice recording tools to organize work into portfolios and track progress|