You can extend your battery’s life between charges by turning off features that you don’t need. You can also monitor how apps and system resources consume battery power.
Extend the life of your battery
- Turn off radios that you aren’t using. If you aren’t using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or GPS, use the Settings app to turn them off. See Wireless & networks settings and Location & security settings. (The GPS receiver is only turned on when you’re using an app that makes use of it.)
- Turn down screen brightness and set a shorter screen timeout. Learn about Screen settings.
- If you don’t need them, turn off automatic syncing for Gmail, Calendar, Contacts, and other apps.
See Configuring account sync and display options.
- Use the Quick Settings to check and control the status of radios, the display brightness, and syncing.
See Status Details and Quick Settings.
- If you know you won’t be near a mobile or Wi-Fi network for a while, switch to Airplane mode. You tablet uses extra power to search for mobile networks.
Check the battery charge level
Open the Settings app and touch About tablet > Status
The battery status (charging, discharging) and level (as a percentage of fully charged) are displayed at the top of the screen.
Monitor and control what uses the battery
The Battery Use screen shows which apps consume the most battery power. You can also use it to turn off apps that you’ve downloaded, if they are consuming too much power.
- Open the Settings app and touch Applications > Battery use. The Battery Use screen lists the apps that have been using the battery, from greatest to least battery use.
The discharge graph at the top of the screen shows battery level over time, since you last charged the tablet, and how long you’ve been running on battery power. Thin green lines below the chart indicate short periods of time when you were connected to a charger. The thin blue line shows when the tablet was active.
- Touch an app in the Battery Use screen to learn details about its power consumption. Different apps offer different kinds of information. Some apps include buttons that open screens with settings to adjust power use.
- Touch the discharge graph to open a screen with details about when the tablet’s radios, screen, and other features were using the battery.