You can use Voice Actions in Voice Search to call your contacts, get directions, send messages, and to perform a number of other common tasks, in addition to searching the web.
Use Voice Actions to search the web or perform other tasks
- Press & hold the Search button . Or touch the Microphone icon in the Google search box or in the Browser’s URL box.
The first few times you open Voice Search, it offers hints about how to use it and offers to play an introductory video. You can touch Speak now to use Voice Search at any time.
Subsequently, a dialog opens, prompting you to speak Voice Actions or search the web. You can touch Help to open the hints screen again.
- Speak the voice action you want to use, or the words you want to search for. The complete set of Voice Actions is detailed in Voice Action commands.
When you’re finished speaking, Voice Search analyzes your speech and initiates the action.
If you have the Use My Location setting checked in the Google Search settings, local results are featured in your search results (see Changing Google Search settings).
If Google Search didn’t understand what you said, it presents a list of similar-sounding search terms and actions, which you can touch to continue with that action.
Some Voice Actions open a panel where you’re prompted to complete the action, by speaking or typing.
Complete a Voice Action
Some Voice Actions, such as “send email” and “note to self,” open a panel that prompts you to complete the action by speaking or typing more information.
- Touch any text already entered in the panel to add or edit the text by speaking or typing.
- Touch blue words or phrases or drag across multiple words to view a list of other possible transcriptions or to edit by speaking or typing.
Voice Search displays words that it is confident it has transcribed accurately in black. Words or phrases with alternate transcriptions available are displayed in blue.
- Touch a button at the bottom of the window to add any optional fields (you can also speak the name and content of any of these fields in your original voice action).
- When you’re done, touch the button appropriate to completing the action, such as Send or Set.