You can connect your tablet to a computer running Mac OS X with a USB cable, to transfer music, pictures, and other files between your tablet and the computer.
This connection uses the MTP protocol, which is not supported by Mac OS X natively, so you first need to install the free Android File Transfer application on your Macintosh. It’s available from www.android.com/filetransfer, along with instructions on how to install it.
You don’t need to install the Android File Transfer application to connect to a Windows computer; see Connecting to a Windows computer via USB.
Transfer files to or from a Macintosh computer
Once you have installed Android File Transfer on your Macintosh, you can connect your tablet to your computer using the USB cable that came with your tablet, so you can view and copy files.
- If you are using Android File Transfer for the first time, double-click it to open it.
After you start Android File Transfer once, it opens automatically whenever you connect your tablet to your computer.
- Connect your tablet to your computer using its USB cable.
Android File Transfer starts, if it’s not already running, and opens a window that displays the contents of your tablet. Details about the amount of space on your tablet are at the bottom of the window.
You work with this window much as if it were a Finder window: opening and closing folders, creating new folders, and dragging files to or from it and other Finder windows.
You can copy files up to 4GB onto the tablet.
- Click or Shift-click on files or folders to select them, just as you do in the Finder.
- Double-click folders or touch their arrow icons to view their contents.
- Use the commands in the Go menu open and close folders and to navigate back and forth among the folders you’ve opened.
- Touch the New folder button or choose New Folder from the File menu to create a folder in the current folder.
- Select one or more files or folders and choose Delete from the File menu to delete the selected files or folders from your tablet.
- Drag one or more files to a folder in Android File Transfer or in the Finder to copy files back and forth.
- Disconnect your tablet’s USB cable from the Macintosh when you’re done.
It’s best to wait until any file transfers or deletions are complete before disconnecting, but you can simply disconnect your tablet at any time (any tasks in progress are simply abandoned).