Video ads are one type of ad that can appear on AdSense sites. They can show on your pages if you have chosen to display image ads and are using a supported ad size. Video ads can be paid by click or by impression.
Here's how they work:
- The ad first appears as a static opening image. When a user sees the image, we count this as an ad impression.
- The video will play if the user clicks the image or play button.
- If the user clicks the display URL or clicks the ad while it's playing, he'll be taken to the advertiser's website. We count this as a click in your reports.
Users can control the volume and can replay the video if they choose; the video won't automatically replay.
How do I enable my pages to show video ads?
To enable video ads to appear on your pages, you have to do two things:
- Use one of our supported video ad formats
- Set your ad unit to display text and image ads, or image ads only. We recommend choosing both text and image ads to optimize ad variety and revenue.
What ad sizes can display video ads?
Video ads are available in the follow supported sizes:
- 728 x 90 Leaderboard
- 120 x 600 Skyscraper
- 160 x 600 Wide Skyscraper
- 200 x 200 Small Square
- 250 x 250 Square
- 336 x 280 Large Rectangle
- 300 x 250 Rectangle
How are video ads targeted?
Video ads are targeted in the same way that text and image ads are targeted to your pages -- contextually or through placement targeting. Learn more about ad targeting.
How will I earn from video ads?
Your earnings from video ads will depend on the pricing of the specific video ads you display. Video ads can be either cost-per-click or cost-per-thousand-impressions. When paid on a CPC basis, you'll receive earnings for each valid clickthrough on ad -- that is, a click on the display URL or playing video that directs a user to the advertisers' website. When paid on a CPM basis, you'll be paid for impressions of the opening image, rather than plays of the video.
Will I earn more with video ads?
As with text and image ads, we can't make any guarantees about the amount you'll earn from video ads. However, displaying video ads along with text and image ads on your site should lead to greater potential revenue for you. When you increase the pool of advertisers whose ads are eligible to display on your site, you'll increase competition for your ad space and drive your earnings up.
Keep in mind that our system is optimized to display whichever ad or ads will generate the most revenue for you at all times. When we show a video ad on your site, it's because we've determined that it represents a higher value to you than the corresponding text or image ads that might otherwise run in that same ad space.
Who hosts the video for video ads?
Video content displayed in click-to-play video ads is hosted and served by Google. The streaming technology of the ad should not slow the loading of your page.