To create a new AdSense ad unit that you can manage within your account, follow the steps below.
- Sign in to your account at http://www.google.com/adsense.
- Visit the My ads tab.
- From the sidebar, choose the product. If you simply want to display ads on your website, choose "Content ads."
- Click +New.
- Name and customize your ad unit.
View details about the settings.
- Name: Provide a unique name and description that will help you find this ad unit later.
- Size: In general, wider ad units perform better. We encourage you to choose one of our recommended ad sizes, which have shown to perform well across a variety of sites.
- Ad type: We encourage you to display both text and image ads. By displaying more ad types, you can earn more revenue.
- Ad style: Choose an ad style that complements your page. (View tips.) You can also set a different font face, font size, and corner style, or just use Google defaults.
- Custom channels: Custom channels are an advanced feature that you can use to group specific ad units together. Learn more about custom channels.
- Backup ads: When no targeted ads are available, we'll you can choose to display another ad or color instead.
- Click Save and get code.
- Copy and paste the ad code into the HTML source code of your pages where you'd like ads to appear. If you're not sure how to do this, you may wish to review our Code Implementation Guide.
Once you've saved your website, ads will appear within a few minutes. If you need to change the settings of this ad unit in the future, you can edit it from the list of content ads under the My ads tab.