Here's how to troubleshoot problems you might have while installing Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook. For complete information on using Google Apps Sync, see the Google Apps Sync help.
How do I download and install Google Apps Sync?
For complete installation instructions, see download, install, and import Google Apps Sync.
How do I deploy Google Apps Sync for my domain (administrators only)?
For instructions on deploying Google Apps Sync in a large organization, see administrator setup for Google Apps Sync.
I was unable to download Google Apps Sync
My installation failed in some other way
The most likely reason is that your version of Windows or Outlook doesn't meet the system requirements. Please review these system requirements, install any necessary updates, and try the installation again.
You can also try uploading your logs to the log analyzer. This tool parses the logs for relevant information and provides possible solutions. If the log analyzer doesn't produce any results and you're still experiencing installation issues, please submit a support case and include the 'MsiExec' folder from the 'Tracing' folder that contains the logs. These logs can be found in the following locations:
- Windows XP - C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Google Apps Sync\Tracing\MsiExec
- Windows Vista/7 - C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Google\Google Apps Sync\Tracing\MsiExec
How can I tell if my computer meets system requirements?
To see which version of Windows you are using:
- On your desktop, right-click the My Computer icon, then click Properties.
- Click the General tab.
- The information under System lists your operating system, its version, and any service packs.
To see which version of Outlook you are using:
- In Outlook, click Help > About Microsoft Office Outlook.
- The first line of text details the version and any service packs that have been applied.
You need to have the following version:
- Outlook 2003: 11.0.8169 or higher
- Outlook 2007: 12.0.6335 or higher
My installation failed and I've met all the system requirements
Verify that your domain administrator has made the following settings in the Google Admin console:
- Enable Google Apps Sync for Microsoft Outlook for my users
- Enable Calendar service (required for users to be able to create profiles)
For details, see these administrator instructions.
If users still can't create their profiles, also verify that you aren't using an authenticated proxy, which currently isn't supported by Google Apps Sync.
I'm getting the error: Cannot register service. How do I fix this?
This problem can be caused by having installed the Exchange Server management tools, which include an incompatible version of MAPI32.DLL. To remedy the problem, uninstall the Exchange Server management tools. If that doesn't solve the problem, run fixmapi.exe.
Installation/initial synchronization is taking a long time
Assuming you have met your system requirements, installation takes only a few minutes.
After installation is finished, data synchronization begins. If you are importing a lot of Exchange data to your Google Apps account, this initial synchronization can take up to 24 hours. You can, however, begin using Outlook immediately. Learn more.
When logging in to Outlook, I get the error "Cannot open your default e-mail folders. The information store could not be opened"
This can happen after you change your Windows password. The problem is easy to fix:
- Open your Windows Start menu, go to the Google Apps Sync menu, and choose Delete saved Google Apps Sync passwords.
- Start Outlook, opening your Google Apps Sync profile. You'll be prompted to re-enter your password.
I'm having trouble installing the MSI file (administrators only)
Did you rename the .MSI file after downloading it? If so, rename the .MSI file exactly as it was when it was initially downloaded, then try installing again.
I'm having trouble installing my domain's global address list using the GAL Generator (administrators only)
Verify that you've enabled the Google Calendar service in your Google Admin console. For details, see these administrator instructions.
Are there other known installation issues?
There might be. See known Issues and look under Email Clients and Mobile Devices.