Once you download Pidgin, you'll need to configure your client to connect to the Google Talk service.
To configure your account:
- Open Pidgin.
- Select Add.
- Enter the following information in the Add Account window:
- Protocol: XMPP
- Screen Name: your Google Talk username (without any @ symbol or domain).
- Server: Enter the portion of your email address after the @ symbol. For example, email@example.com will enter example.com as the server value. (If you're not a Google Apps for Your Domain user, please visit the Google Talk Help Center for instructions.)
- Password: we suggest leaving this field blank for increased security, but if you'd like to log in automatically, enter your password
- Local Alias: leave this field blank
- Remember password: check the box if you'd like Pidgin to remember your password (you won't be prompted to enter it each time you log in, if you select this option)
- New mail notifications: check the box if you'd like Pidgin to notify you of unread email in your inbox.
- Click the Advanced tab and select Require SSL/TLS.
- Click Save.
Have questions about Pidgin? Learn from the experts! Check out Pidgin's FAQs. The Google Talk Team can only assist you in configuring your client to work with the Talk service.
Google is a trademark of Google Inc. All other marks are trademarks of their respective owners.