Most paid products include administrator settings that control how the product works for your users — for example, an administrator setting for Google Drive specifies whether users can share documents outside your organization.
By default, administrator settings apply to all users in your organization. However, some applications and services enable you to customize settings for different users. For example, you can let one or two suborganizations use Google+ hangouts but turn hangouts off for everyone else.
To configure Google applications and services differently for different sets of users:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- Navigate to the settings of the service or app you want to customize.
- Select Org Settings if it is available. If the application or service doesn't have any settings that you can customize for different organizational units, its Settings page doesn't include Org Settings.
On some pages in the new Admin console, you must click to see organizational units and filter criteria.
- Select the organizational unit for which you want to configure settings. To configure settings for your entire organization, select the top-level organizational unit. If you haven't created an organizational structure, the top-level organization is the only one that appears.
- Set values for the settings on the page. An organizational unit inherits the settings of its parent organizational unit by default, so you only need to set values for the settings you want different values for. Any settings you change appear highlighted. Under the name of each setting, the Admin console lets you know whether the current value is Inherited from a parent organizational unit or Locally applied to the currently selected organizational unit.
- To override an inherited value, simply set the new value for the setting. The text under the name of the setting changes to Locally applied.
- To return a locally applied setting to its inherited value, move the mouse cursor over the setting you want to change and click the Use inherited button that appears to the right.
- Click Save changes. It may take up to 24 hours for a setting change to take effect, although it usually happens faster than that.