Incoming email messages are subjected to Google's spam filters, so messages detected as spam are automatically placed in a user's Gmail spam folder.
However, the Spam setting enables you to create an approved sender list to bypass the spam folder. You can approve specific senders based on the email address or domain. You can also approve all internal messages within your organization.
Approved sender lists can also be reused across different settings. For example, you can specify the same approved sender list in both the Spam and Blocked senders settings, and it would modify the behavior of both settings.
Similar to other email security settings, the Spam setting applies to all users in an organizational unit. Users within child organizations inherit the settings you create for the parent organization.
To set up an approved sender list using the Spam setting:
- Sign in to the Google Admin console.
- Do one of the following:
- In the classic Admin console, click Settings > Gmail.
- In the new Admin console, click Google Apps > Gmail > Advanced settings.
Where is it? Which Admin console do I have?
- In the Organizations section near the top of the page, highlight your domain or the organizational unit for which you want to configure settings (see Configure email settings for an organizational unit for more details).
- Scroll down to the Spam section:
- If the setting's status is Not configured yet, click the Configure button near the right edge of the window (the Add setting dialog box opens).
- If the setting's status is Locally applied or Inherited, click Edit to edit an existing setting (the Edit setting dialog box appears), or click Add another to add a new setting (the Add setting dialog box appears).
- If you want to bypass spam filters for messages received from internal senders (from users in the same organization), click this check box.
- If you want to bypass spam filters for messages received from addresses or domains specified in your approved sender lists, click this check box.
- Click Add or create a new one to create a new approved sender list.
- Select the name of an existing list, or enter a custom name for a new list in the Create new list field and then click Create.
- Move your pointer over the list name, and then click Edit.
- To add email addresses or domains to the list, click Add.
- Enter an email address or domain name (for example, solarmora.com).
Note: Click Do not require sender authentication if you want to bypass the spam folder for approved senders that do not have authentication such as SPF or DKIM enabled. Use this option with caution as it can potentially lead to spoofing.
- When you are finished making changes, click Add setting or Save to close the dialog box.
- If you want to add more email addresses or domains to the list, repeat steps 8-10.
- When you are finished making changes, click Add Setting to close the dialog box.
Note: Any settings you add will be highlighted on the Email settings page.
- Click Save changes at the bottom of the Email settings page.