Editions Supported: Google Apps Mobile Management is only available for Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government.
How to use Mobile Management
Step 1: Access Google Apps Mobile Management: Sign in to your Google Admin console, at www.google.com/a/your_domain. Go to Settings > Mobile.
Step 2 (optional): Enforce mobile settings for specific organizations by assigning users to organizational units in the Org Settings tab.
Step 3: Set the mobile settings you want to enforce for your entire organization or for each organizational unit. Learn more at Org Settings.
Step 4: Send your users an email using this email template to inform them about the device policies you're going to enforce and to instruct Android users to download the Device Policy app.
Step 5 (optional): If you've selected Enable device activation, devices that register after activation is enabled will need to be approved before they can start syncing with your domain.
Devices are now synced to users' Google Apps accounts. You can revoke or block devices at any time. You can also view and export user device information on the Devices tab.
How to deploy device policies with Mobile Management
Here are 2 common scenarios administrators use to deploy Google Apps Mobile Management:
This is the most flexible option, which ensures all your users can sync to Google Apps with little setup. Use simple setup if the following apply to your organization:
- Chief priority is for all your users to be able to use Google Apps on their mobile devices.
- Your organization doesn't have rigorous policies around enforcing passwords on devices, approving devices, encrypting devices, and doesn't need to enforce mobile security policies.
If these criteria apply to your organization: On the Org Settings tab, select Enable Android Sync for users and Enable Google Sync for users. Keep the rest of the device policies unselected.
This is for organizations that need to enforce rigorous device policies. Use advanced setup if the following apply for your organization:
- Require users to set passwords on their devices and automatically lock their device if it's been idle for a period of time.
- Require users to have their devices approved by an administrator before being able to access their Google Apps data from their device.
- Be able to remotely wipe your users' device if they lose it.
- Set different types of mobile policies for different organizational units. For example, you may want to require employees in Finance and Accounting to have encrypted devices whereas you could set different security policies for general employees.
- Audit applications users have installed on their Android devices that access Google Apps data.
- Export information about how many of your users are using Android and Google Sync devices in a spreadsheet.
If these criteria apply to your organization: Go to Settings > Mobile > Org Settings and enable these mobile settings.
Note: Before you enable settings such as Encryption on Android, check Org Settings to make sure your users' devices support the settings.